Thursday, March 3, 2011

Karate Kid


Max has a bad habit of attacking me with the full weight of his little body when I'm least expecting it. He knocks me over when I'm crouching down to put shoes on, he throws himself at me (inevitably elbows first) when I'm sitting on the couch... I feel like I need some chain mail to keep from getting seriously injured!

A few days ago, I was standing at the sink in the kitchen. I turned around to see Max hurtling full-tilt toward me, and before I could say a word, he pummeled me in the stomach with his very hard skull. I can't describe the noise that I made, but it was somewhere between an "Oof!" and an "Oh I think I'm gonna die!"

When I regained my composure (partially) I knelt down and explained (for the umpteenth time) that he needs to ask me if I'm ready before running into me. He might get hurt, I might get hurt, or we both might get hurt! This time, I explained, it really hurt Mommy.

He stood in silence for a moment, then responded, "You hurt me too!" then turned to leave the kitchen. As he walked through the doorway, he turned around. "I forgive you."

Oh my, I'm so glad you could find it in your heart to forgive your punching bag...

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Clare TenEyck who works with troubled kids once told me that if we could give our children just one thing she thinks it should be the ability to forgive----looks like max is on his way :)