Wednesday, March 2, 2011

So Long, February!


And good riddance! For being the shortest month of the year, it has definitely worn out its welcome. It seems like everyone I know has been ill most of the month! In our family, beginning with Lucian's one-year appointment early this month, we have been to the doctor three times (more on that in a second). I have been sick with a cold literally the entire month; I was healthy for about a day and a half in there somewhere. Max has had a stuffy/runny nose on and off. Only Paul came out basically unscathed... except that being the only healthy person in a household does have its drawbacks.

But poor Louie, he's been so healthy his whole life and then suddenly this month he was attacked from all angles! He started out the month with a cold, then one night mid-month we took his clothes off for a bath and noticed a fine red rash all over his chest and back. Turns out he had Type G Strep- ever heard of it? I sure hadn't. By the time the rash showed up, it was in its last stages, and his symptoms were all gone before we had results from the long strep test... so we really had nothing to do to treat him. But the diagnosis sure explained the sleepless days leading up to the rash; poor kid, I was blaming it all on teething.

Oh yes, teething. He now has two full-blown teeth, but boy-oh-boy has he had to work for them! I don't know where the cold ended and the teething began, the poor kid's just been miserable.

And then a few days ago, he woke up with swollen, gunky eyes. Pink eye, we were sure. I brought him back to the doctor again, but to my surprise we found out that the problem was his ear which was, in the doctor's words, "massively infected"! The swollen eyes were not pink eye, but a combination eye/ear infection. Antibiotics made a world of difference overnight, and now we are just dealing with the after effects of the medication (diaper rash, anyone?).

It truly has been an exhausting month. Having a sick kid means less sleep, less sleep means it takes longer to get healthy, being unhealthy means that all other obligations are harder to fulfill. My house has been a mess, Max has watched too many movies, laundry has piled up, I've simply been tired. And TIRED of these four weeks of illness!

So... now it is March. I intend to be healthy and have healthy children for this entire month. Who's with me?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Me!! Have you tried taking Vitamin D? I have been taking a 1000 IU supplement all winter and every time I think I am getting sick it lasts about half a day and then I am fine. It doesn't help with the kids getting sick but it helps keep Mommy healthy! :)

Monica G. said...

Oh man. Sick is hard. The kids at school have been hit hard too. Poor Louie looks like he was in a bad fight! I can't believe that's from an ear/eye infection :( SAD! My heart goes out to you all and prayers for a much better March!