Friday, March 25, 2011

Word Up, week 1


I have decided to start keeping my eye (or ear) open for new and interesting words, and share them with you here. I am hoping to make this a "Word of the Week", but I think we can all be honest with ourselves and know that my track record is not exactly great with schedules and planning. So whenever a new word rolls around you'll hear about it, but it may be a week or a month... or a season between words.

I will also take suggestions! If you hear a great word in conversation or read a new word in a book, I want to know. (Monica, I have you in mind especially...) But for this week, I've got one.

Drum roll please... Aaaaand the word is...

Obfuscate

(ˈäb-fə-ˌskāt) v. Confuse. To be evasive, unclear or confusing.

I heard Click and Clack use this word on Car Talk on Sunday, and I've been trying to drop it into conversations ever since. (Unsuccessfully, I might add. It's a tough one!) So I thought I'd throw the challenge out there- use the word Obfuscate in a conversation, and let me know how it went! What was the context? Did it take pre-planning, or did it just roll off your tongue? And most importantly, what was the reaction of the listener?? (I'm envisioning, "What the... did she really just say that...?")

So there you go, and happy word hunting!

*Pronunciation guide and definition from Merriam Webster Online. I don't know how to get my computer to do those cool symbols and stuff*

No comments: