Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It's fun to stay at the...

Check-in sticker: proof we were there!

Well, it wasn't a complete disaster, but I wouldn't call it a resounding success either. Today was my first attempt at dropping the boys off at the YMCA while I went to work out. I've been stalling, putting off the day when I would bring them with me because I thought it would be tough. Scratch that, I knew it would be tough. The only other time I left them was when we took our tour on the day we signed up to be members. Lucian "had a tough time" (i.e. screamed for 45 minutes), Max had a melt-down when it was time to leave. I mean full-blown melt down, the worst I've ever seen from him.

So with those memories fresh in my mind, I decided (against all common sense) to try for take-two... sans Paul. When I told Max in the morning that he got to go to the "Magic Play Room" (that's what our tour guide had called it), he lit up like a Christmas tree and started bouncing off the walls. I got us all packed up and opened the back door... and walked into a hailstorm. I stood on the porch thinking, "This is a sign. This is a sign. We're not supposed to go." But reason lost out again to brute stubbornness, and I packed the boys into the car.

Thankfully, the weather calmed to a sprinkle within minutes, so getting into the building was not a problem. I brought the boys into the playroom and filled out all the paperwork. Max practically hurled himself over the gate to get to the toys, and Lucian sat quietly on the floor watching his brother. So far so good. I took a pager in case of a meltdown, left them with Louie's bottle and paci, and off I went to jog on the treadmill.

All went well for about 15 minutes... then I felt a buzzzz in my pocket. Bummer. I left the treadmill and started walking toward the playroom. When I hit the lobby, I could already hear the screams. I came in and rescued a red-eyed, howling Louie and brought him with me to gather our things. When I returned to check the boys out, Max made it good and clear that he was NOT ready to go. Thankfully, this time he didn't reach the point of throwing himself on the floor, but there was plenty of back-arching and several inhuman screeches.

Finally everyone settled down enough to head to the car and head home. I bet those childcare workers are hoping we take our time coming back...

But in spite of it all, I feel kind of proud that I did it. I feel like we accomplished something, even if we may have burst a few eardrums in the process. Hopefully next time will be better... and hopefully I am able to gear myself up for a "next time" before next winter. We'll see.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Don't give up! And don't wait too long to try again. The longer you wait between visits the longer it will take for them to adjust. You can do it!