Sunday, May 16, 2010

Repeat After Me


Max has always had a habit of telling people what he wants them to say to him. When he introduces himself, he doesn't say "I'm Max", he says "Hi Macky!" Yesterday we went to "Old MacDonalds" for some ice cream and took it to the park by our house. Paul chased Max around a few times, and when he sat down to rest, Max started running away, looking back over his shoulder saying, "I'm gonna get you! I'm gonna get you!" Paul couldn't resist and took off after him again, yelling "I'm gonna get you!" Soon after, the boys were throwing sticks over the fence, which was just barely within Max's reach. When he got one over, he looked to Daddy and said "Good job!" which Paul, of course, repeated right back to him.

I never have to worry about Max sticking up for himself or making his feelings clear. He already tells us what he's thinking and what he wants us to be thinking! "Mommy Daddy wanna watch Macky slide!" was the refrain we heard when we returned home to play in the backyard. Of course we want to watch you slide, Max!

I should take lessons. I'm the passive-aggressive type- If you ask me if something is wrong, I'll say no, then I'll get upset because you can't tell something is wrong! I expect people to be mind readers... and I've learned that most people aren't. Paul and I once read a book on personality types in marriage, and the advice it gave to me with our personality combination was this: If you want flowers, ask for them!

This week I will try to be like Max. I'll say what I mean and mean what I say!

No comments: