Monday, May 31, 2010

Ode to Monica

When my dad invited Paul to the Boundary Waters over Memorial Weekend, he decided that he would only go if we could find someone to help me out for the weekend. So I called Monica, not really expecting her to be able to make the 12-hour round trip to visit at such short notice. I should have known... being the wonderful Auntie that she is, she packed up and drove here to spend three super-fun days with us!


She arrived Friday night after the boys were asleep, and we stayed up until after midnight sipping Chardonnay as we caught up on life. Saturday started off with pancakes and bacon, then a trip down the street to Amore Cafe, my new favorite place now that Bully Blends is 600 miles away. Then, since the day was looking to get into the 90's, we packed up the stroller for a walk around the Mall of America to browse all of the formalwear departments for bridesmaid dresses. We found nothing, but I'm glad I got to feel a part of the wedding preparations.

The rest of the day was low key, just the way I like it! Leftovers for dinner, ice cream for dessert, stories and playtime, prayers and bed. Then on Sunday we went to St. Joseph's for the Mass of Thanksgiving of Father Alex Carlson, newly ordained for the Archdiocese. After Mass we packed a picnic lunch to bring to the park near our house. One of the greatest things about having Monica around was that we could do things I would never dream of doing on my own with two kids! A picnic sounds sweet and relaxing, but with a baby crying and a toddler running away, there were some stressful moments. Monica is such a natural; nothing phases her. I can't wait to see her with her own children...hopefully SOON!


After the picnic came playtime in the yard, a nice nap for the kids, and spaghetti with garlic bread and broccoli for dinner. You have no idea how much I enjoy cooking when there are no children underfoot! Monica kept thanking me for cooking, but I loved every minute of it as she kept Max and Lucian entertained and happy in the living room. While sitting on the deck after dinner, the topic of strawberry rhubarb pie came up...and in minutes we were all packed into the car for a trip to Bakers Square for a pie, and the grocery store for some vanilla ice cream! What were we thinking, you may ask, picking up dessert after 7:00pm when bedtime is supposed to be 8:00? Anything goes when an Auntie is visiting!!

This morning, we took a nice long stroll around the neighborhood, iced hazelnut lattes in hand, talking about everything and wishing that the weekend wasn't coming to an end. Max cried when he discovered that Auntie Monica had to leave, but he gave her big hugs and kisses as she promised to return soon. We're holding you to that, Monica!

I can't even begin to explain how nice it was to spend a weekend one-on-one with my sister-in-law. It seems like the only time we ever get to see each other is at huge family gatherings where there is barely time for a conversation. My favorite parts of this weekend were the opportunities we had to just talk. She may think she was here to help me with the kids, but after this weekend my soul feels a little lighter from the joy that she brings with her everywhere she goes.

We love you, Monica!

5 comments:

Maureeb said...

sounds like a great weekend---love the pictures.

MAUREEN said...

oops-spelled my name wrong---sounds middle eastern or something

megan said...

haha nice mom! I am so jealous!! I haven't even had the opportunity to meet Lucian yet :(. Soon though hopefully. This sounds like it was an awesome weekend, the pictures are great! Love you guys.

Unknown said...

Dear Taryn,
What do you know? I hung up from you and we figured out how to make a comment! Like I told you on the phone I love your blog. I love the intimacy of being part of your every day life. Thanks for taking the time to share that with us. Even though you are close by now this is a different way of enjoying your life. I hope to see all of you very soon.
Love,
Grandma

Monica G. said...

Yay! I miss you already. It was so fun to be there and get hang out. Thanks for a great time :)