Monday, July 26, 2010

Broccoli


On Max's new favorite CD, Kids With Beards by the Okee Dokee Brothers, there is an entire song devoted to boogers. It completely caught me off guard the first time I heard it, but since then it's grown on me. I just hope they're not teaching Max any lasting habits when they launch into a chorus of "Who needs tissues when we've got fingers?"

In the middle of the song, the musicians break to tell jokes about this really appetizing subject. The first is actually one of my old favorites:

Why do gorillas have big nostrils?
Big fingers!

But the second joke is one I had not heard before:

What's the difference between boogers and broccoli?
Kids don't eat broccoli. (ohhh, eeewww, grooooan...)

It's this second joke that I would like to take a moment to address. Max has listened to this CD through at least twenty times, but he had never reacted to these jokes before now. Today, as he was playing with his Play-Doh, I saw a thoughtful expression come over his face, followed by a sly smile. He had gotten the joke! He looked at me and explained:

Kids don't eat broccoli. Boogers eat broccoli!

Oops. Almost, honey, almost.

No comments: