Friday, February 25, 2011

Sea Chanteys



Sorry if anyone is tired of hearing about pirates on this blog; maybe I should rename it "Captain Salty's Adventures on the High Seas" or something. I don't see his pirate obsession going away anytime soon, in fact at the moment it is as strong as it's ever been! The first thing he does every morning is put his pirate hat on and pick up his foam sword, and most mornings I find myself being "sworded" and/or thrown overboard before breakfast.

But I just couldn't resist sharing this story with you all- Max's love of music and love of pirates have officially collided. We were driving home earlier this week listening to the radio when we suddenly noticed Max singing to himself in the back seat. We turned down the radio and this is what we heard:

"If you're happy and you know it, walk the plank!
If you're happy and you know it, walk the plank!
If you're happy and you know it, and you really wanna show it,
If you're happy and you know it, walk the plank!"

We both burst out laughing and told Max that we loved his song! For the rest of the drive we were serenaded with countless verses of his own creation, including (but not limited to): If you're happy and you know it,
-Hoist the mainsail
-Say 'Arrr!'
-Do a parrot (braaak!)
-Go to land (Land ho!)
-Find a treasure
And on, and on, and on.

Then last night, we were treated to a new pirate song, "The pirates on the ship say 'Arr, arr, arr!'" This also developed into a multi-verse song, "The sails on the ship go wave, wave wave", "The ships on the ocean go sail, sail, sail", "The mateys on the ship go 'Yo Ho Ho!'" etc, etc.

I'm just waiting to see what he comes up with next. Old Captain Bogg had a ship? Hey there, Matey, have you any gold? The possibilities are endless!

3 comments:

Monica G. said...

I always tell you this, but Max is such a smart kid. You have a boy wonder on your hands.

And I don't think I will ever tire of hearing the pirate tales.

lsradecki said...

So I guess our day of Knights and slaying dragons didn't take hold, huh?

Kay Rogers said...

I really enjoy the pirate stories! It reminds me of John's obsession with knights/castles and swords. Great imaginations are a sign of great intelligence, I think you have a smart boy. :)