Thursday, February 3, 2011

Caffeine

Isn't that a beautiful sight?

An 11:00 bedtime (my fault, I know), two night visits and a wake up call at 5:45 made the word "coffee" sound even sweeter to my ears than usual this morning. Alas! The last of the coffee grounds were brewed yesterday morning, so instead of awakening to a glorious cup (Paul brews extra for me every morning!), all that I found awaiting me was an empty pot.

I slogged through the morning, trying to be present to constant calls for food, play, snuggles and books, but I found myself assenting to the bare minimum required of me. I served breakfast, but I couldn't muster up the strength or creativity to respond to Max's usual question of "What ARRRRR we eating?" with a suitable answer. "Cereal" was a lame substitute; he wanted me to say "Hard tack and barnacle stew" in my best pirate voice. Can't... speak... pirate. Running... on... fumes.

I yawned my way through a conversation with my mom after lunch, during which she suggested I have my brother bring by coffee when he came this afternoon. But that was still three hours away! I needed help NOW!

So when Louie woke up from his nap, I packed up the boys and drove to my drive thru oasis, Caribou Coffee. Medium hazelnut latte for me, lemon blueberry scone for Max.

Oh, that first sip! I felt my strength returning instantly. I now believe I can make it through the day without spontaneously combusting. Oh, my friend Joe, how would I live without you?

No comments: