Sunday, February 27, 2011

Play to Learn, Learn to Play

There are so many awesome places to bring kids in the Twin Cities, but most of them cost a chunk of change. Thankfully, the libraries in the area offer passes to many of these places for a reduced rate, or even free! I managed to get my hands on a free pass to the Minnesota Children's Museum for this weekend- they're kinda a hot commodity, only a limited number are available at any given time. I called one library- they had one left but couldn't hold it for me... it went out the door literally minutes before I showed up. I called another library- nope, all out. But, third time's a charm! The third library I checked had one left, and that one I managed to grab before it was snagged by some other penny-pinching mommy.

We wolfed down a quick dinner when Paul got home on Friday and took off for the Museum. I tell you, this place is a kid's dream come true! Every room is chock full of exciting, engaging exhibits to peak the interest of little brains. I think I'll let the pictures tell you the rest of the story...

First, we visited the Lego Castle Exhibit. Dragons, knights, costumes, jousting, castles, and legos! What more could you ask for?

"Do dragons sit on thrones?" was the question of the day


Checking out the dragon's treasure

Using giant Legos to build a castle

Next up, the nature room! Lots of caves to explore, animal costumes and puppets, hands-on learning.

Through the hollow log

There was a mirror positioned in a rock across from this turtle so he could see himself. He thought it was pretty awesome.

Fake crawfish, real water!

"I'm sticking out my teeth like a beaver!" says my little log chomper


Checking out a larger-than-life anthill


Then, after a quick pit-stop to do some face painting...


...we were off to World Works to learn about water, paper, levers and gears. Good stuff!

Making paper medallions


Louie LOVED the water tables


Last but not least was Our World, an exhibit boasting a grocery store with plastic food, a Chinese restaurant, a doctor's office, and Max's favorite, the recording studio!

We stayed until closing, but I know Max would have been happy to play until the sun came up the next morning! I'm sure we will find our way back to the Children's Museum many times in the years to come. If you ever want to join us, let me know! The more the merrier.

2 comments:

megan said...

my favorite is the turtle picture!!! but i love them all!

Jessica said...

We love the Children's Museum and would love to join you sometime!