Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Easy as ABC

I decided it's high time Max learned his letters. He can recite his ABC's like a pro, but when we sit down to do flash cards, he only knows a handful of letters on sight. When in doubt, all letters are either 'M', 'A', or 'X'.

It's not that I think he's behind, or that he needs to be spending tons of time doing "school" stuff before even going to school. I just figure, hey, I'm home with him all day every day, why not throw in a little fun learning time? Plus, any combination of construction paper, crayons and scissors keeps him entertained for long stretches!

So, with those thoughts in mind, I came up with a little project to pass the time yesterday afternoon. I decided that the best way to work on visual recognition would be to have the alphabet posted in a prominent location in our home. I outlined each letter with black marker on construction paper, then Max got to color them in with crayons.



We then worked together to cut out all 26 letters


And attached them with sticky tack to the wall in his toy corner

Now when we sing the Alphabet Song, I can point to the letters as we go! As an added bonus, the letters spruce up the drab white walls of our living room a little bit. Until we get around to painting, maybe I'll just cover everything with colored construction paper...

4 comments:

Monica G. said...

I love this idea! It looks like fun and it looks like Max is enjoying it quite a bit too! Way to go Mom!

Jessica said...

What a great idea! And it turned out cute!

Anonymous said...

Yay for learning!
Sara Sm.

lsradecki said...

That looks awesome on your wall!! I bet Max just loves it. I bet the next time I come, he'll know that all-not just the M. A and X. Although we both know those are the three most important letters, don't we?