Monday, August 9, 2010

Ready, Set, Jump!


When I was in high school, I really enjoyed the fact that my parents had a pool. Our house tended to be THE hangout spot in nice weather, and it was great having the option to swim right at my fingertips. But not until this summer have I fully appreciated this glorious oasis in my parents' backyard. They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder, but I would add that a lack of central air conditioning, a rambunctious two year old, and 90+ degree weather have made this heart grow fonder.


Whenever we want to (and we have wanted to a LOT lately) we pack up and drive to Burnsville for a dip in the pool. It doesn't cost us a penny and we have the place to ourselves- except when my cousins stop by, which makes it even more fun!


Max swims like crazy in his life jacket, but he prefers to splash around in freedom so that he can go underwater. When I was his age, I doubt I was even willing to put my face in the water; this kid dunks himself, eyes wide open, and comes back up laughing! Also, in the last couple of weeks, he has gotten comfortable jumping off the edge of the pool by himself. It scared the daylights out of me a few times, but he can even make it back up to the surface on his own. Now we're working on those first few doggy paddles, and I'm thinking that by the end of the summer he may be able to keep himself afloat!

Lucian, you're next.

1 comment:

megan said...

this is great! I love Lucian's face in that picture. Max is getting so big, I'm so impressed with his water abilities!