Wednesday, August 25, 2010

All Grown Up


Last night, Paul and I had a glass of wine with dinner. Every time we break out the wine glasses, Max asks as sweetly and politely as he can muster "Can I have some of this please?" Yes, he has gotten tiny sips on occasion, but I think he hopes that one of these days we'll just give in to his over-the-top efforts and pour him a sippy cup full.

But our response is always the same. "Wine is a grown-up drink. When you're a grown-up, you can have some too." ("Blast! Foiled again... I'll need to change my tactics" he thinks)

This morning, Max found a pair of Paul's flip-flops and shuffled into the room. "Oh, Max, that's a good look for you!" I said.

"I look like a...." he asked, waiting for me to fill in the blank.

"You look like a grown up!" I responded, without thinking. Then with a twinkle in his eye, he paused, looked straight at me and asked in a sugary voice,

"....Can I have some wine?"

1 comment:

megan said...

no way! that is so funny! he is a smart kid taryn...he obviously got his brains from you and his mischief from paul.