Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Golden

Max and Great Grandpa Radecki

Last weekend was my Grandparents' 50th (golden) wedding anniversary, and we celebrated by renting out Camp Hiawatha, a Lutheran summer camp, for the weekend. The only complaint I have about the weekend was that it was TOO SHORT! I love spending time with my extended family, and even though the weather wasn't great we made sure every minute was put to good use.

The kids and I packed up and got ready Friday morning while Paul put in 4 hours at the office. Even with a mound of bags on the living room floor, I was certain I was forgetting a whole host of important things. Amazingly, I can't think of one thing that was actually missing over the weekend.


At 10:30, when Paul's car rolled into the driveway, we quickly loaded up and went on our way. Both kids were amazing on the drive! Max read books to himself and played with his favorite stuffed animals, Fox in Sox and Snuv. Lucian slept. We have some super traveling kids!


We arrived to see my whole family sprinting across the main lawn, looking like they were running away from a swarm of bees... then I realized they were just playing an intense game of SPUD! If you've never played Spud, you need to read the rules here and then bring it to your next family reunion. Spud is a staple in our family; it's just not a summer family gathering without it! We joined in to play while Max explored the camp with Great Grandma Radecki, and Lucian lounged in the shade.

There was a 4-square tournament, many rounds of Buck Euchre, bocce ball, frisbee golf, volleyball (involving a broken toe and a golf cart "ambulance"), Ultimate Tetherball (a term I've just coined to mean any tetherball match between my husband and my brother... yes, bruising did occur), a midnight lake swim (in which I did not participate), tons of great food, and a grand old time had by all!

Here are some of Max's highlights:

Playing piano in the lodge with Uncles Tony and Ben, and cousin Alexander


Fishing!


Morning coffee with Daddy and Uncle Ben


Ringing the dinner bell (almost) all by myself


Driving the boat (almost) all by myself


Playing with Alexander

And highlights from Lucian's weekend:

Snuggling with Grandma


Snuggling with Uncle Ben


And just being all-around super cute


The weekend flew by so quickly, we all left wishing we had another few days at least! It was so wonderful to spend time together celebrating my grandparents' marriage- after all, if it weren't for them, none of us would have been there at all. We celebrated Saturday night with gifts, memories, and even an original song (can't have a Radecki get-together without one!) Thanks, Grandma and Grandpa, for a wonderful weekend! Let's do it again soon.

No comments: