Monday, June 14, 2010

Do you hear what I hear?

As I plopped down in our computer chair to check my email, I heard the familiar "whoosh" of the chair cushion. I realized that it is one of those sounds I hear so regularly that the sound itself has begun to evoke a specific reaction from me- in this case, something along the lines of "Ahh, a few moments to myself. The kids are sleeping/napping/occupied".

Some other sounds of my typical day:

The sound of Max's door opening as he sneaks out after he's been put to bed (thunk, followed by sshhhh as the door drags across the carpet)

The sound of the doorbell ringing when no one is at the front door (faulty wiring, I think)... now my response time is super slow, and I am surprised if someone is actually standing there!

The sound of Paul's car pulling into the gravel driveway as he gets home from work (followed by a sigh of relief from yours truly)

The sound of Lucian snoring ("ok, now he's really asleep") ... usually followed by the whoosh of the computer chair...

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Gotta love the sound of Daddy coming home! Around here it is the garage door opening that evokes the sigh of relief and excited squeals. :)