Sunday, May 20, 2012

Morning Coffee


Oh what an improvement this was from Saturday morning! Instead of our eldest barging in at 6:00am, we didn't hear a peep from the kids until 8:30. And that, my friends, is a beautiful thing. But almost as beautiful were the first words out of Max's mouth this morning. After climbing into bed with me and snuggling for a few minutes, he told me, "I'm going to make you your morning cup of coffee, Mom."

"Oh, ok sweetie," I said. "Come on up and get me when it's done!" So he jumped out of bed and ran downstairs. Paul and I laughed to ourselves and wondered what we had in store for us. A few minutes passed as we listened to the padding of little feet downstairs. Then we heard Max pound up the stairs, and seconds later he burst in saying, "Your morning cup of coffee is ready, Mommy, just like I promised!" I climbed out of bed and followed him downstairs, not quite sure what to expect. He brought me to the table and I saw a green plastic cup filled with "coffee" (water) waiting for me at the head of the table. "Here's your coffee!" he exclaimed proudly.

I looked around to figure out where the water had come from and discovered that he had pulled one of the dining room chairs into the kitchen and up to the stove. Our teapot had apparently been full of days-old water that he had used to fill my "coffee cup", only spilling a small amount onto the stovetop. There was even a pile of paper towels that had been used to try to clean up the spill. (Who is this kid and what did he do with Max?) I enjoyed my coffee under Max's watchful eye, sneaking away to pour it out a little at a time into the sink, until my cup was empty and he was satisfied.

I don't know what got into him, but I felt like it was Mother's Day all over again! The kid has a heart of gold.

No comments: