Friday, May 25, 2012

Lucianese, the answers

So you thought you could translate my language, did you? Haha!

Well, thanks to the brave few who were willing to make their attempts public! It was a valiant effort- and, in fact, I was surprised at how many right answers there were. For the win, there was a tie between Grandma R and Auntie Monica- way to go!

Here is the full list of answers, I hope you enjoy!

1. "Mo, Gacky!" = No, Macky!
   One of the most commonly heard phrases in this household, it still baffles me. Why does he choose to pronounce his brother's name with a 'G' while the word 'no' is pronounced with an 'M'? We know you can say your 'M' sound, Louie, just pick the right word!


2. "Yay-Yay, a-yelf." = Louie, by myself
   Mr. Independent whips this phrase out at least a handful of times each day. From buckling himself into his own carseast to crawling into his crib, there's nothing he won't try to do 'a-yelf'. But if he's unsuccessful, he's quick to ask for 'Elp, peas!'

3. "Uh-rul" = Cereal
   No morning is complete without a bowl of 'uh-rul' and 'goke'. I am careful to keep the pantry well stocked, because it's not a pretty morning if we're out of cheerios!

4. "Goke, peas" = Milk, please
  Another staple that causes chaos if we run out, milk is Lucian's beverage of choice. I have been known to make many runs to Jim's Market up the street for nothing but a gallon of milk.

5. "Uh Yum go?" = Where did Liam go?
  The name is interchangeable..."Uh Papa go?" is another favorite. But I just love how he says his uncle's name. Yum! It's perfect.

6. "Mee-mee!" = Excuse me!
   This phrase is most commonly heard when the boys are getting into the van. Lucian likes to climb in after his brother and politely say, "Mee-mee, Gax!" as he pushes past to his own carseat.

7. "Yuk-a-tah" = Liquor store
   So this is not actually a common phrase, but I couldn't resist adding it to the list! When we were out running errands one day, we stopped by the liquor store so Paul could run in and grab a bottle of wine. When we explained where Daddy was, Lucian picked up on it and started telling us about the "yuk-a-tah".

8. "Buss beef" = Brush teeth
   Lucian is obsessed with brushing his teeth. Any time he is in the bathroom, he asks to "buss" his "beef"; I think he'd do it ten times a day if I let him!

9. "You-yoff" = Shoes off
   Also commonly heard is the opposite, "you-yon". I really need to get him some Crocs so I can stop bending over to help him with his shoes. That's getting harder every day!

10. "Cookie"
   One of his first fully recognizable words. He's a little obsessed with cookies!


So there you have it, folks, a peek into the language of Lucian. I'm getting pretty good at understanding him myself, but there are still at least a handful of times each day that I stare at him blankly as he tries in vain to tell me something. Poor kid, but I'm doing my best!

No comments: