Sunday, May 13, 2012

Dear Mom


I spy a wonderful Grandma!





I have finally learned that Mother's Day is not just about breakfast in bed, flowers, and nice cards, although those things are all wonderful. It's not just an excuse for moms to take a day off, although that's nice too. I realized that it is a day to think back on all of the amazing things my mother has done for me over the years and to thank her. This year, I want my mom to know what exactly it is I am thanking her for. So here are just a few of the many, many things that come to mind.

Mom,

Thank you for getting up at night with me when I was a baby. For holding me while I cried. For many nights with too few hours of sleep.

Thank you for giving me a childhood of which I have nearly all good memories. I know there were imperfect moments, but the joy of my childhood outweighs them so heavily that I honestly don't remember them.

Thank you for allowing me, but never pressuring me, to try new things. For supporting me in the activities that I loved. For being there in the audience night after night after night, even when I had only a small chorus role.

Thank you for letting me make wrong decisions, and for being a shoulder to cry on when I realized my mistakes. For celebrating with me in the many joys of life: graduations, marriage, children!

Thank you for being there for me as I raise my own kids.  I often wonder how other moms survive without having Grandma just a short drive away... I can't even picture it! The boys are so blessed to have you in their lives, as am I.

Happy Mother's Day!

Thumbs up for Grandma!




No comments: