Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Inquisition


Why?

Why? Why? Why? Why?

Whywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhy?

Are you tired of this yet?

I try really hard not to get frustrated at Max's overzealous curiosity. I answer his questions to the best of my ability... usually. But sometimes it gets downright ridiculous! I know all kids have a "why?" stage, but is it too much to ask that he only ask questions that have answers?

I'll give you an example. Usually these conversations start out innocent enough. "Why did you give Lucian a smaller plate than me?" "Because he doesn't eat as much as you do."

And does Max then respond with, "Oh!" and go back to whatever he was doing? Ha, ha, hahahaha. Let's continue. "Why doesn't he eat as much as I do?" "Because he is smaller than you." "Why is he smaller than me?" "Because he was born two years after you." "Why was he born two years after me?" "Because... uh... that's when he came out of Mommy's tummy?" "Why is that when he came out of Mommy's tummy?" (Oh dear... uhh...) "Because that's when God wanted him to be born." "Why is that when God wanted him to be born?"

And this is about where I give up. Either I throw up my hands in frustration and snap, "Because He did." or I throw the question back at him: "Why do you think that's when God wanted him to be born?"   If I ask him a question back, he usually comes up with an answer. In this case, maybe it's "Because it was a good time to be born." or something of the sort. I'll usually smile and say, "Yeah!" or "That could be!" or "Oh!"

And then, THEN my friends, is the question that drives me up a wall.

"Why did you say 'Oh!'?"

This happens at least a few times every day. What kind of answer can I give to this question? Why did I say 'Oh'? Why does anyone say 'Oh'? To end the conversation, that's why! But if I give any kind of response to this question, it results in a completely new line of questioning, ala "Why did you want to end the conversation?" And we're back to Square One.

I feel like I'm walking a fine line here. I don't ever want him to stop asking questions. I love his inquisitive nature, and I love that he wants to know the answers to everything. I only wish that two or three rounds of questions would satisfy his curiosity... rather than six or eight or ten.

Lately he's been really curious about the human body: skeletal system, organs, the like. I love answering these questions, if I can. But even these quickly devolve into meaningless back-and-forth before he's satisfied:

"Why do we have a skull?"
     "To protect our brain."
"Why does it protect our brain?"
     "The skull is made of hard bone and it goes all around our soft brain to keep it from getting hurt."
"Why is it made of hard bone?"
     "Because if it was soft it wouldn't keep our brains safe"
"Why wouldn't it keep our brains safe?"
     "Why do you think it wouldn't keep our brains safe?"
"Because it would be soft!"
     "Oh!"
"Why did you say 'Oh!'?"
     ".........."

The one thing I really enjoy is watching Max go after other people with his endless line of questioning. As they fumble for answers to some of his most ridiculous questions, I just get to sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. Watch out, you might be next!




4 comments:

Monica G. said...

Well, soon, we will all be there so he can ask us all his questions, and you will hopefully get a chance to relax, a lot!

We are getting so excited. And, I have to say that Max is looking more like paul every day... and in case nobody has told you, Paul's question phase cosisted of "What's that mommy? What's that?"

Unknown said...

Yes, I can relate. I also love how Jeremy plays along or laughs at my inability to answer half the questions... We got into a LONG debate about eating out of toilets... remind me to tell you about that one.

Anonymous said...

Dang, look at those luscious locks!I am pretty sure that is the longest his hair has ever been.

-Patrick

Kay Rogers said...

I find this particular blog hilarious. I love to read about your family. So real, so sweet and so hilarious. Keep,writing!