Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Shopping with a Pirate


I wonder how many of my blog posts have a pirate-related title? It seems like any time I have a story to tell about Max, those scallywags are somehow involved. Tonight it was a simple trip to Target for corned beef and heavy whipping cream (not to be used together, I assure you). We were waiting at the deli counter and Max started softly singing, "fifteen men on a dead man's chest... yo ho ho and a bottle of rum..." The deli worker looked up at him and asked, "So you like pirates, huh?"  "ARRR!" was his enthusiastic response, followed by, "Do you want to hear my pirate song?" Of course she did, and he repeated (at a much higher volume) "Fifteen MEN on a dead man's CHEST! YO HO HO and a bottle of RUM! Want to hear it again?" and hear it again she did, whether she wanted to or not. By then our meat was sliced, but as we wheeled away from the deli counter, he continued to sing at top volume until he finally got distracted by the frozen dinner aisle. I could barely keep a straight face, but I couldn't help wondering what all the other customers were thinking of me... "Where did that sweet, innocent child learn a song about dead men and rum? What kind of mother lets her child sing about such things??"

But crazy mother or not, I made no attempt to stop him. In fact, our pirate adventure continued into the kids clothing section, where Target was having some great deals on summer clothes. I started sorting through shorts and t-shirts and found not one, not two, but three pirate-themed t-shirts in Max's size. Meant to be? I think yes. I took the kids to the dressing room so Max could try on some shorts, and he Argh'ed his heart out to the dressing room attendant, who assured him that he made a very convincing pirate. When he took out his "hook" and began challenging her to a fight, however, I decided it was time to move on. By the time we made it to the check-out, Max Salty had retired for the evening and my own Maximilian was back. But what an adventure we had!

1 comment:

lsradecki said...

I never get tired of hearing about Max Salty's pirate adventures!