Friday, September 30, 2011

Produce

We are autumn people in this family.

I have always found it hard to motivate myself to do anything when the sun is beating down on me and the thermometer creeps past 80 degrees. I feel stagnant, I feel like my energy slowly but constantly evaporates. But when the weather starts to cool and I can push our double stroller all the way to the park without breaking a sweat, I start to think I can really accomplish something! I am at my best in jeans and a sweater.

I have intended to visit the Farmers Market all summer, but when I noticed the first hint of leaves changing I realized my time was running short. Maybe that is part of my motivation in the fall; this season is a transition period. It doesn't sit around and outlast its welcome like winter, and it doesn't beat down on me and make me lazy like summer. It's gone almost before it starts. So I made the Farmers Market a priority, and in the last two weeks I have been there twice.

mmm...fresh green beans

There is something special about buying fresh produce directly from the people who grew it. I feel as if I need to treat each vegetable with care and create a masterpiece with it. Paul will attest to the fact that our vegetable intake has gone up (in quantity and quality) since I brought home Farmers Market produce. Fresh green beans sauteed with garlic, red peppers and onions. Shrimp and leek stew. Spaghetti squash with basil, garlic and butter. Usually I am one to take the easy way out with meals- the faster and simpler the better. I worry that fresh vegetables from the store will go bad before I use them, so I don't buy them often. I keep a stock of frozen broccoli, peas, corn and green beans, and that usually does it for veggies around our house. But now I realize what I've been missing!

I still have squash, carrots, onions, red peppers, green beans and red potatoes that are awaiting their turn in the kitchen. Next visit will be to the orchard for some apples- Paul has requested a Caramel Apple Lattice pie with crust from scratch, and I feel motivated to take up the challenge! I'll get back to you with the results (if there are any results worth sharing...)

Oh, October, you will fly by too quickly! I'm not ready for snow, I just want to bask in the sun on a cool 60 degree day... every day for the rest of my life.

farmers market flowers

1 comment:

Holly said...

I *just* did a post on apple pie! http://www.goeslightly.com/2011/09/american-as-apple-pie.html Let me know if you need a good crust recipe- this one was nice and flaky :) I love fall food!