Saturday, September 24, 2011

Line Up

I am so proud of my boys.

While grocery shopping today, I had the check-out experience to end all check-out experiences. If not for my sons' amazingly awesome behavior, I probably would have left my cart full of groceries in line and simply walked out of the store.

Are you curious? Am I hyping it up too much?

I completed a quick zip through the grocery store with one of those monster cart-attached-to-toy-car for the kids to ride in. This thing did not steer easily; it constantly veered to the left and occasionally one wheel would skid to a stop. Not exactly smooth sailing, but no biggie.  I finished quickly and we heaved-ho toward checkout. I rolled the contraption into what looked to be the shortest lane: only one customer was in front of me, and she was already in the process of checking out.

My first clue that something was amiss was the fact that she had split her items into two separate transactions. Now, all you coupon moms out there, please do not take offense! I know how these things work, and I know you can save big bucks this way. I wish I had the determination to really be a couponer, it would probably save me a bundle. But you know how it goes, sometimes it takes a little longer to check out. Ah well, I figured they'd zip right through the two transactions, so I piled my items onto the conveyor.

Soon I realized that something really wasn't right. The cashier was deep in conversation with the woman about the coupons being used, and all checking-out soon came to a halt. She called for assistance and we all stood there waiting for a manager to arrive. When the manager came, they discussed the problem with the coupons- something involving double days and triple items... a language I'm not quite fluent in. They voided the entire transaction and began again, this time manually entering each coupon with each item. By each item I mean each one of at least fifteen boxes of Trident gum, five gallons of milk, and assorted other odds and ends.

This went on for awhile until the manager stopped. She said something, walked away to consult someone else, returned a few minutes later to undo the transaction and try again. Part of the way through this attempt, she walked away again, consulted, and returned.

By this point, several people had lined up behind me, assessed the situation and left. I have never done this before, but I finally packed all of my items back into my monster cart, backed out of the lane, and clumsily maneuvered to another lane. I know I need to work on my patience in the checkout line, but this was a little ridiculous.

Ahhh... now this lane only had one person in front of me, and only a small pile of items similar in size to my own. I was nearly at the end of my rope, but I could make it through this.

Suddenly, the woman in front of me walked away and back into the store! Seriously? Now? And for some reason, the cashier awaited her return before she even began to ring up the items in front of her. The woman returned (after what seemed like a millennium) with the forgotten gallon of milk, and checking-out ensued. But then the woman pulled out her WIC information. Now, I normally have ZERO issue with the paperwork that goes along with WIC purchases at the grocery store. (Just as I have no issue with coupons) But I just wanted to catch a break! How about a nice, normal transaction, no coupons, deals, paperwork?

Thankfully, there were no problems with the WIC account and everything went very smoothly- probably only adding thirty seconds to my wait. Then the cashier flew through my checkout, I swiped my card and I was outtathere. As I wheeled my groceries and kiddos toward the door, I glanced over and who did I see still waiting in the checkout lane? Coupon Lady.

But the moral of the story, and the reason I began writing this tirade was to gloat to everyone about how wonderful my kids were through the whole ordeal! Notice I didn't mention them once in the story? That's because they did nothing worth mentioning! They were perfect. They were angelic. They truly kept me from blowing a gasket. I am a proud momma today.

2 comments:

Rick said...

It's not the length of the line, it's the people in it.

As a general rule I try to avoid any check out line that has a women in it. No offense, but guys are just quicker.
- We only have the few items on our list.
- We don't use coupons, or at least very many.
- We either pay with credit (and have our cards swiped before all our items are rung up) or cash.
- If we are in the 'quick lane' we actually have 10 items or fewer.

Sure those aren't always true, but 9 times out of 10 a line with a few guys in it will move faster than any other line.

Taryn said...

You know, I've never thought about it that way! Thanks for the great advice, I will definitely keep that in mind for the next grocery trip.