Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Turn, Turn, Turn

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven"
-Ecclesiastes 3:1

Summer has been a whirlwind, full of travels and weddings, swimming and enjoying the great outdoors. But it looks as if the seasons are changing. Who knows, we may have another 80 degree day try to sneak its way past the autumn guards.  This is Minnesota after all, the Land of Ten Thousand Weather Changes. I won't hold my breath, though. I think it's time to sit back and enjoy the cool breeze and changing leaves.


We were able to make the most of one of the last beautiful days of the season by going to the Fire Muster Parade with Grandma R. It's been awhile since we've been to a parade, and this was definitely the first one that Max fully appreciated. In other words, if you're looking for candy, the Fire Muster is your parade! He started out a little apprehensive, but after watching the other kids dive for the candy as it flew from a few of the first floats, it clicked. Then there was no stopping him!

Got it!

My favorite moment: a bag of Skittles fell on the pavement and Max dove for it, reaching it just before a big kid sitting to our left. While the kid stood sorrowfully watching the candy go and moaning, "Skittles are my favorite...", Max moved on to collect an armful! Ok, so maybe I do have just a little competitive edge to me... at least when it comes to my son.

Max graciously shared his take with his brother

Lucian was in on the action the whole time, not moving quite as quickly as his big brother, but getting his share of the loot nonetheless. Actually, we had to teach him that it was his job to collect the candy, not throw it back to the floats. "But guys, they threw it to me first!"

Yes, they gave out freezy-pops!

We now have a plastic grocery bag full of candy, which I know will still be half-full when Halloween comes around. Oh my goodness, what will I do with all of these sweets??

Post-parade sugar high

No comments: