Friday, May 20, 2011

Best Laid Plans

Well, bummer.

We had an exciting weekend in Wisconsin planned with my brother and his girlfriend, touring some great microbreweries. This trip has been in the works for over a year! We were waiting until Louie was old enough to stay overnight at the Grandparents house, and this was finally the big moment. But alas, parenting is full of surprises. Instead of enjoying a beer at Sand Creek Brewery right now, I am sitting at the computer and listening to a poor, sick Lucian sing himself to sleep.

Around 4:30 in the morning, I went in to check on a crying baby and found a mess. I will spare you the details, but it sure wasn't fun from then til about 11:00. Thankfully, he seems to be on the mend now; it was just a quick bug, and I think all that's left is lots of rest and rehydration.

I'll be honest, I cried a little when I had to make the decision to cancel the trip. Just the four of us, an open road, no concrete plans (yikes that sounded a little like a country song) ... I have been looking forward to this for a LONG time. But there is no predicting when illness will strike, and my baby needed me this weekend. Our plan is to reschedule for some time in June, and who knows? Maybe it will be 70 and sunny instead of crummy and stormy.

I knew when I signed up for this whole parenting gig that the needs of my children would always come before my own wants. It is still a disappointment when things don't go according to plan, but I am glad to be able to care for my little boy, and I'm savoring the snuggle time this sickness affords us. The cleanup? Yeah... no redeeming factor there. But this is motherhood at its finest. Love is mopping up puke and doing laundry at 5am.

And I sure love this little boy.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm sorry Taryn! That's no fun even if you don't have plans. Glad he's feeling better!

Taryn said...

Thanks Jess! He's starting to act like himself already, and we're planning to reschedule our trip for June. AND I got a two hour nap today! Everything worked out just fine.