Monday, May 16, 2011

Being Suzie Homemaker

I just accomplished a momentous task. Are you ready for this? (drumroll, please...)

I organized the toy corner!

It all started when Max was looking for his plastic pirate ship this morning. Apparently his pirates wanted to go on a voyage, but their vessel was nowhere to be found! He and I searched high and low, pulling toys out of bins, looking under couches, making an absolute mess. And still, no ship.

At this point, the living room was in utter chaos. Then suddenly it struck me: why don't I just go whole hog? I decided to organize the mess, and not "organize" it in the way I usually mean the term (throw everything haphazardly into a bin or box, out of sight and out of mind). No, this was Organize with a capital O!

I emptied every bin, sorting toys as I went. I saw the bottom of the toy chest for the first time since we bought it (Oh, there's the plastic monkey head Max was looking for yesterday!"). I moved all the furniture and found toy cars, plastic bugs, tennis balls, you name it. I designated a place for everything, and if there was no place, it got retired to the basement. This way, I can bring those toys out in six months or a year and they will seem brand new!

It. felt. GREAT. I have no Before picture, that would have just been too darn embarrassing. But here is the During




and After



(This is your cue to ooooohh and aaahhh)

I know it won't last long (actually, it has already started to come undone) but it is wonderful for the moment, and I am inspired to try to keep it this organized... at least for this week.

The one problem is ... I still can't find the pirate ship.


1 comment:

Maureen said...

oooooh, aaahhh
I am impressed
Maureen