Friday, April 1, 2011

Something to Write Home About


On Saturday, my friend Jess invited some people over for a day of card-making. Every Lent, she makes one greeting card a day to send overseas to soldiers through the program Operation Write Home. The soldiers are then able to take these homemade cards and use them to write home to their loved ones. This year she let us all in on the fun and we spent an entire afternoon buried in scrapbooking supplies. Jess is quite the scrapbooking guru; she has every craft supply imaginable, enabling even beginners like me to pull off some pretty sweet cards. But to see the master at work, you should check out her scrapping blog here, you will be blown away by what she's able to do with paper, scissors and adhesive.

Will and Torin hard at work

Catherine and Ellie

I showed up around 1:30 with my two little storage boxes of scrapping supplies... and just about dropped them when I saw the spread on the dining room table! I quietly laid my boxes aside, realizing I had nothing to add... the room was full of paper, ribbon, buttons, scissors, stickers, and an awesome Cricut machine. If you don't know what that is, don't be embarrassed- I didn't either. Basically, you press a button and this machine cuts out intricate shapes, words and pictures from the paper of your choosing. Suh-WEET!

Sarah and Augustine showing their finished product

The Master Craftswoman hard at work

Addy and Lachlan... loving the markers and scissors

Don't mess with Angela, she's got an adhesive applicator and she knows how to use it!

When dinnertime rolled around, Jess mentioned pizza and we all took a quick break for Papa John's. Mmmm... gaaaarlic saaaaauce... Then we had the idea to collaborate on a card, each person adding one or two details, and this was our final result:

I didn't get home until Louie was about to go to bed! It was the longest stretch that Paul has had the two kids to himself, what a trooper. I think the three of them had a really great time, but I know I did! Jess, let's do it again soon.

Some of our finished cards: very nice, yes?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"the room was full of paper, ribbon, buttons, scissors, stickers, and an awesome Cricut machine"

Yet she still seems to 'need' to make weekly trips to Archiver's, Scrapbooks Too, Michael's, etc...

Taryn said...

Hmm... Rick, is that you? Ha ha