Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Big Reveal

I know you've all been dying to see it... the new, improved guest room and entryway! During the process of remodeling, we disconnected our computer and thus had no internet access, so I'm very sorry for the long wait. But I promise you, it's worth it! If you can't stand the suspense, feel free to scroll to the bottom of the page and ogle the pics a bit before reading my ramblings, but no home improvement project would be truly complete without giving the play-by-play! (I'll try not to go overboard)

It all started about a month ago, when my friend Jess and her husband decided to organize their kids' toys into a cool cube bookshelf with pull-out drawers. I decided right then and there that I wanted to be a copycat, so I started mentioning the bookshelf idea to Paul. He said it sounded like a nice idea, but our conversations never went beyond that. Finally, after a couple of weeks of no action, I told him that I wanted to go out hunting for a book shelf organizer for our toys. I was going to take action! All of a sudden, it was as if I had opened the floodgates...

It turns out that Paul's hesitation in buying any new furniture for our living room stemmed from a desire to finish and reorganize our guest room. Until we finished the guest room, we wouldn't know for sure which furniture would remain in our living room, and how much space we would have for a bookshelf. "So," I asked him, "What do we need to do in order for me to get my bookshelf?" (which was all I really wanted to begin with) Turns out, the answer was carpet! Not only in the guest room, but the stairs and hallway as well!

So we got some estimates, signed papers on Friday, planned the install for Tuesday... and then like any sane person would do, decided that as long as the carpet would be ripped out, we should paint! We hightailed it to Menards, chose our paint colors, and spent the entire long weekend prepping and painting the house before the installers arrived Tuesday morning. My dear, amazing, wonderful husband did the brunt of the prep work while I was off at a women's retreat Friday and Saturday... managing most of it with kids underfoot! Sunday we did as much as we could while the kids were awake, then we broke out the paint after bedtime... finishing the trim work at 1:00 am. Ouch.

On Monday, I took the kids down to my parents' house to get them out of the way while Paul painted all by his lonesome, all day. I came home, put the kids to bed, and got down to work. I did the best I could, but crashed sometime between 12:30 and 1:00... I don't really remember going to bed. Paul never told me what time he finished the last of it; I'm not sure I want to know. Oh and did I mention we both had terrible colds? And, oh yeah, I'm pregnant? Talk about the will to succeed! (talk about running on fumes...)

The installers came Tuesday and did a beautiful job. Now I no longer care if I get my toy shelf; I'm too busy basking in the glow of a fully finished bedroom and a beautiful new entryway! Ready for it? (or did you cheat?) Our latest home improvements!

Before (Doesn't do justice to the icky hue of brown paint on the banister):


After (Oooohhhh):



Before (you can't see the hideous unfinished floor or baseboards):


After (Aaahhh):




3 comments:

Jessica said...

That looks awesome! Nice work, now get since rest!! ;)

Holly said...

Beautiful!

Monica G. said...

Way to go guys! I can't wait to see it in person! :)