Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Full Moon

My children were wild yesterday. So wild, in fact, that when Max's classmate came out of tumbling class, she marched up to her mom and announced, "That Max is crazy, crazy, crazy!" During class Lucian was a total nut as well, climbing and standing on chairs, running around like a chicken with his head cut off. I jokingly asked one of the mothers, "Is there a full moon coming soon?" and she informed me that yes, in fact, the full moon is October 12 - TODAY!


Do you think there's something to it? Everyone I've talked to that works with kids notices a marked difference in the classroom vibe when a full moon is imminent. I've always been tempted to write it off as people looking for a difference, since full moons are predictable. But now I'm not so sure. I don't follow the movements of the moon, so I was not looking for changes, but my children were definitely on a different page yesterday and today.


After tumbling class the boys and I took a road trip with my mom to visit my grandma for her birthday, and the car ride was indescribable. My mom would probably say it wasn't that bad, but Lucian was anti-car from the moment we started the trip. Even though we planned to leave at his nap time, he refused to fall asleep until the last five minutes of the two-and-a-half hour drive. The trip home was no improvement; by the time I got back to St. Paul this afternoon, I had to shut myself in a quiet room for fifteen minutes before I could function normally again.


I think next month I will keep track of the moon so that I can prepare myself for the storm before it hits. If nothing else, I'll shut us all up in the house for two days so my little werewolves won't be seen in public. I know I'm probably my kids' toughest critic when it comes to behavior- I do have high expectations. But when another four year old points out their shortcomings, I have to wonder what's going on. Could it really be the moon's fault?




1 comment:

Monica G. said...

This post is hilarious. Is it a full moon today? School was nutso today. Kids were crazy-go-nuts. I think there is something to the full moon thing. Your kids are not the only ones that do wild and crazy things :) don't worry. They're perfectly normal! Miss you guys!