Saturday, August 6, 2011

If Wishes were Horses


Maybe it's something he picked up from someone while I was gone, maybe he feels that never gets his way regardless, but for some reason Max has started wishing for everything he wants. No more does he demand, or even ask for, a bag of M&M's in the store. Now he says in a sugary sweet voice, "I wish I had some M&M's to eat..." and when this brings no response, he repeats it louder (but just as sweetly) "I WISH I had SOME M&M'S to eat...!" I usually respond by saying, "It would be pretty cool to have that, huh?" and then leave it there.

I guess I can see where it came from. If he asks me point-blank for something, odds are the answer will be "no". Not that I don't want my son to have everything he wants... but, well... I don't. I would like him to understand that even though he really really waaaants an item, having it will not make him a better person, or even necessarily a happier one. I haven't ever explained it to him in those words, but it seems to have sunk in somehow. I find it kind of sweet when he wistfully wishes for dessert after breakfast, gum at the grocery store checkout, you name it.

Well, I wish a brand new Toyota Sienna would magically appear in our garage, but as they say, "If wishes were Siennas, then beggars would ride..."

No comments: