Wednesday, December 1, 2010

O Come, O Come Emmanuel

This beautiful statue was given to me at a Prayer Shower in Rapid City when I was pregnant with Lucian. It is on display in our home year-round, but it becomes especially relevant during the Advent season when we are preparing our hearts for the coming of Christ at Christmas.

Advent has begun, and I believe that this year Max is old enough to have some understanding of the season. We set up our Nativity set, and he loves to point out and name each of the figures.

He helped Daddy light the first Advent candle before dinner on Sunday, and he sat mesmerized as we prayed by candlelight

Today, December 1, was the first day of Max's Advent calendar. We picked one out with little chocolates behind each door, so now he's REALLY looking forward to opening the next one tomorrow! I read him the Scripture verse on the door as he scarfs down his chocolate square; it's a genius idea - give a kid a piece of chocolate and he'll sit still long enough to hear you read a verse from the Bible. Amen to that! Today's verse-

"The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light" -Isaiah 9:1

I also decided to revive a tradition that I remember from when I was young- making a Christmas chain! Each day of Advent, we are going to add another link to the chain, so that by Christmas we have a long paper garland decorating our home!

I love that this craft is so simple that Max can do most of it himself! I cut the strips and helped him figure out where to put the tape, but he gets the satisfaction of attaching the links and watching his very own chain grow longer and longer each day!

A blessed Advent season to each of you!


No comments: