Sunday, January 29, 2012

What's This White Stuff?

It's been a very strange winter here in Minnesota. Fifty degree days in January? Only inches of snow on the ground? I feel like I'm back in South Dakota. Not that I mind, but Max has been itching for some real snow days since before Christmas. Finally, finally, we got enough cumulative snow (in the right consistency) to build a snowman! 

Earlier in the day, before Paul got home, Max wanted to play Peter Pan outside. I fashioned him a cape (apparently Peter Pan needs a cape?) and gave him my winter hat and sent him on his way. While he was outside, truly massive flakes began to fall from the sky. The wind began to blow and our backyard looked like a snow globe! Did that deter Max? Of course not. But he instantly changed his game from "Peter Pan" to "Catch the snowflakes on your tongue". 



That short-lived but prolific snowfall enabled Max and his daddy to build one sweet snowman. Never mind that they had to use just about all the snow in the yard... they didn't let that stop them, no sir! (It may have slowed my dear husband down a little bit by the end of it... that's a lot of rolling). Max was beside himself with excitement when they finished up with a carrot nose and real charcoal eyes. I could see it in his eyes: "Now it's really winter!"



No comments: