Thursday, November 4, 2010

What's Cooking?

Max has started to show quite an interest in cooking. He loves to sit on his stool in the kitchen and pretend to mix and bake with pots, wooden spoons, and whatever other kitchen utensils he can confiscate from the drawers within his reach.

I decided last week that he was ready to help me with some baking, so we attempted to make some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! I say attempted because... well... they really didn't turn out very good. Yeah, I managed to ruin cookies, that's not easy to do! I accidentally used quick oats, which made them totally mushy. But they were still a blast to make.


I measured all of the ingredients into cups, and Max was the Master Pourer. He dumped everything into the bowl at the appropriate time, and he even helped me with the electric mixer! He taste-tested the batter for me (it was super good then! We should never have baked it.) and helped scoop spoonfuls onto the cookie sheets.

Then we set the timer, and Max stood sentinel at the oven door and watched the cookies brown. When they were done, I took them out and served them up with milk! Even a mushy cookie is edible with a glass of milk (especially if the cookie contains chocolate).

Since then, every time he sees me or Daddy get out a measuring cup, he wants in on the action! Culinary school, here we come!

1 comment:

Monica G. said...

I haven't commeneted as of late, but I have been enjoying your posts emensly :) You are a grat writer, and Max is getting so big and so clever, and I miss you all! The halloween costumes are amazing, by the way...CUTE as can be:)