Thursday, June 23, 2011

Peas Please


My eldest son and I are currently engaged in a battle of wills. As I sit here, he is downstairs at the table refusing to finish his peas. I know, I know, it doesn't get any more cliche than that. The only thing that's missing is a family dog to clandestinely eat the offending foods.

I never thought I'd be at the point of vegetable wars, but apparently the time is here! He wants chips, and in order to get chips he must finish every pea on his plate. Not a huge deal, I thought. But Max has decided that this is where he will make his stand. It's 12:30 pm, and he has been at the table since 11:30. Louie and I long ago finished our meals, chips and all, and still he won't budge. The thing I can't figure out is that he loves peas! He'll pop a handful in his mouth any day! He actually ate more than half of today's serving before deciding that he was "full" of peas (but still hungry for chips, surprise, surprise). Can anyone explain this to me?? It's not like I was trying to feed him mashed turnips with brussel sprouts or something (he'd probably even like that...)

I think he has decided that it's fun to test my limits. Let's just hope that I have the patience to persevere. I'll let you know if it lasts until dinner... or breakfast tomorrow!

2 comments:

Monica G. said...

Good thing he doesn't have a booster chair. That's where I put all my peas.

Maureen said...

I clearly remember a pea fight when I was 4 years old. I couldn't leave the table until I ate my peas. I stuffed them in a crack in the floor!! I got found out. It wasn't a pretty sight. I still dont like peas but now I swallow them whole.